Sunday, November 9, 2008

Olé, Olé, Olé


Sometimes it seems like there is so much damn soccer. Each day I seem to find a tip sheet out to some far reaching stretch of Hudson County, for some tournament. Some are good games, some are bad.

I have
actually come to appreciate these games, mostly for the beautiful and diverse range of people from Latin America, and I do mean a large, diverse range. Colombians, Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazilians, Peruvians. You name it, and it seems like they are represented in the plethora of high school players and fans. And they are passionate.


Sometimes these games are something I can only imagine a Champions league game would be like, bongos, air horns and rowdy fans included. Even in this small corner of New Jersey, these games are treated with such fervor. Emotions are high and the pride taken on the field is incredible. I doubt I will ever again witness a high school goalie, lifted like a savior in the European leagues amongst screaming fans, proudly waving his countries flag.


For more galleries please visit:
North Bergen vs. Memorial

Holy Family vs. Bayonne
St. Peter's vs. Niagara

No comments: