Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fire Leaves Us Cold


My first day back after a quick vacation, and there is a fire. There seems to be several fires each day in Jersey City, so we often wait for the number of alarms. One and two is a no-go. Three we'll listen closer. Four I'll grab my bag. And five I should already be there. This is not a five-alarm fire, but there are flames. So I grab my bag.

Jersey City firefighters are clamoring all through the three story house, the blaze still licking the back of the building. It is the first scene I have arrived on with real, orange flames. And of course I like the photo without any actual fire in it. But I do think it conveys the horrible beauty of these fires. The courage it takes to fight them, and the cold reality it leaves. No one was hurt, but the blaze left about ten adults and several children homeless two days before the new year.

Below is a slideshow by our chief photographer, Reena Rose Sibayan and myself.

Click here to read the full story by Mike Conte click here
.


No comments: